The Titular Devil, With Hand

The Titular Devil, With Hand

Monday, October 25, 2010

Dead II Cover and Boardwalk Empire


Here's the cover I would've used if the Dead sequel ever got published. I don't think it's going to happen, but what the Hell...thought you might like to see it.

On a completely different note, I've been watching Boardwalk Empire on HBO. It's gangster stuff, set in Atlantic City during the early Prohibition years, and as you know, I do love me my gangster subject matter. But I have to say, I pretty nearly hate Boardwalk. So far the narrative seems pretty damn shapeless, all the characters are really repulsive, the writing is flat and the shows are visually monotonous. Everything was brown back then, it seems. There's lots of nudity, and I really like the woman from No Country For Old Men, but she's wasted here. But one of the biggest damn problems with the thing is Steve Buscemi, who i really like, generally...he plays AC kingpin Nucky Johnson, who knew a lot of much gangsters who were much bigger deals than he was...anyway, Buscemi really can't hold this thing together. He comes off as a cranky completely uncharismatic asshole who looks like he just escaped from a zombie movie...this is particularly disastrous in his many sex scenes. Who on earth would want to watch a Steve Buscemi sex scene, let alone a whole succession of them? You really feel sorry for the actresses. I was watching the latest episode last night, complaining to my son Pat all the time...he was making fun of me constantly asking me, quite reasonably, why I kept watching it, and i really had no answer. I'm kinda amazed at Martin Scorsese, who executive produced it. Has he been watching Buscemi all this while, just fondling the idea of emaciated googly-eyed bedroom hijinks? Man needs a talking to.

1 comment:

  1. NOOOOOO. The Dead 2 must be made. Ill buy like 100 hundred copies and punch 1000 cats for it.


    And I love the cover.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete