The Titular Devil, With Hand

The Titular Devil, With Hand

Friday, June 11, 2010

Lilitu Readthrough


Just this minute finished my last readthrough of Lilitu before I go back and make all the revisions. I was actually sorry to get to the end of it...it's very smooth and vivid, and I think it's got a lot of my best characterizations...Lilitu herself is my best character ever, hands down, although she's not very nice, at least not at this stage of the game. Book's rather a departure for me, in that it takes quite some time to turn into a typical Rogersian slaughterfest...but it moves right along....loads of sex. The story started off as special treat for my friend Lena, who really liked the character in the Zancharthus books...I wrote her a thirty-page segment about Lilitu and Torrisanna getting, uh, acquainted, and about two weeks after I finished that, the whole rest of the novel flew in over my mental transom. This struck me as a very direct order from the muse, and when she say frog, I try to jump...anyway, for no particularly good professional reason (I didn't have any reasonable hope of getting the thing published by a real New York publisher), I just started in writing the rest of the book...didn't stop for another five-six months. Very intense state of inspiration, kinda like being drugged, which is exactly how I like it. Anyway, as a technical exercise, I think a real quantum leap for me, but you'll be able to judge for yourself soon...I bet the revisions are going to go pretty quick, and then I'll have it nicely proofread (yes, we listened to you guys about the proofreading on some of the earlier Infinity efforts) and turn it over to the printers sometime this summer, after which I'll turn my attention to Flaming Sword, which is a monstrous piece of business in more ways than one, and will truly be a bear...talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment